Friday, April 27, 2007

Trojans: They're not just condoms any more!

So, I recently started re-reading The Iliad, because I felt my life required an injection of dactylic hexameter, and nobody gives dactylic hexameter like Homer. I mean, an hour of that and you’re left limp and spent.


Hey big boy ... wanna verse with me?

Actually, this is the first time I am reading the Iliad. I thought I read it in my World Lit class in high school, but as I’ve discovered, I had really only read some heavily edited excerpts. Evidently Homer was too NC-17 for us.

In any case, I’m about halfway through it, and it has not disappointed at all. Loads of blood, lots of immortal lust, treachery, and petty vengeance, and sweaty Greek men engaged in exactly what you’d expect sweaty Greek men to do.


Let's get Greek

Now, I happened to mentioned that I am reading this to an old friend of mine we lovingly call Merlot. We call him that because he tends to whine a lot. I mean a lot. The other thing about Merlot is that he fancies himself a bit of an intellectual. And it gets really annoying. He’s the sort of guy who will quote Fouccault out of context, and who loudly claims that War and Peace is the greatest novel ever written. You know the type – has an opinion on everything whether informed or not.

And he has a very high opinion of his own intellectual capacity. Once, in college, Merlot was reading Paradise Lost for class, and he though he found something completely new that would change the entire meaning of the work. He enthusiastically pointed out to anyone who would pay attention his discovery in the famous quote by Lucifer:

"Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav’n"


I'll be back, baby

Merlot was convinced that what Milton really meant for Lucifer was that he had plans of ruling hell first, then return triumphantly to heaven, contrary to the arrogance usually implied by that quote. See, Merlot believed that generations of Milton scholars had missed this point, and he envisioned his name now proudly placed among the pantheon of academics.

He brought this to the attention of the professor, his chest bursting with pride and self importance. The professor looked at him as if he was a retard about to eat mud and said, “What you’ve discovered is what we in the profession call a typo.”

Anyway, Merlot hears I’m reading the Iliad, and so he has to ask, “Oh, are you reading it in the original Greek?”

Yes, he really asked that.


It's all ... well, you know

So, I looked at him and replied, “Yes I am. Though it’s pretty hard going since I don’t understand Greek.”

He looked at me blankly, so I continued, “I figured I could start to pick it up after about 50 pages, but this alphabet is so bizarre.”

He had the same look on his face after that as he did when the professor killed his buzz all those years ago.

Ook ook

4 comments:

Paula said...

This poast makes me hungry for dolmades.

Anonymous said...

Egads, I need my Hooked on Phonics upgrade, I first read this line: "... that I am reading this to an old friend of mine..." as you were actually reading it out loud to this friend. Kinda had me baffled as to why you'd do that unless they were ill and needed company.
BUT...never mind on that bit.

Overall: ACK.
You keep him around for entertainment value? Ill-conceived pedantics have a short shelf-life in my pantry.

O' Tim said...

RL - I did the same damn thing, picturing Fez talking to an uncorked bottle.

You reminded me of an interview with actress Emma Thompson where I heard her say that one of her biggest regrets was never reading Homer in the original Greek. Now, I loves me some Emma Thompson, but Sweet Fancy Heyzeus what an arrogant thing to say. Your smartass ruse on Merlot had me giggling, though.

The Fez Monkey said...

Paula: Some dolmas would be very yummy ... especially during the prolonged passages where Homer (ancient poet) goes all Homer (modern animated glutton) on and on and on about hekatombs, feasts, and the like.

RL & O'Tim: Okay, so I used poor syntax. Sheesh! How freaking picky you can be.