Saturday, July 21, 2007

It really is the thought that counts

Evidently, Prince Charles of the ludicrous ears and eternal child's title, presented the love of his life with a rather special and unique birthday gift: two rare sheep, one male one female.

The bleaters were said to have cost 300 Euros each, which I guess is a bit high by sheep standards. And, evidently, Camilla was very happy to receive them. Or, as the British press remarked, "Camilla is in fact, absolutely chuffed to bits."


Camilla being chuffed.

Side note, I have to admit to an almost pathological affinity for these UK colloquialisms: Chuffed, Knackered, etc.

Back to the point, the press goes on to explain that "the royal family have so much already that they don't actually give wildly extravagant presents." In other words, the eternal question finally has an answer. What to you give the person that has everything? Rare sheep. I suppose you can give rare mutton or leg of lamb to the person who has almost everything.

In any event, this has helped me out in a big way. The MonkeyWife's birthday is coming soon, and I have no idea what to get her. However, now I'm thinking a couple of guinea pigs, packaged as "Filigree Hamsters" might do the trick. Maybe she'll be chuffed too.


Filligree Hamsters in the act of chuffing

Ook ook

7 comments:

Constance Kent said...

Re/ UK colloquialisms... I'm quite fond of the term "gobsmack" myself, as in "The MonkeyWIfe was perfectly gobsmacked to receive a pair of amorous hamsters for her birthday."

Paula said...

Capital idea!

Falling on a bruise said...

The UK colloquialisms can be a minefield. I would be wary of asking a brit if they are knackered if they are over 60, a proud virgin or a member of the Clergy.
Another word i hear bandied about everyday is calling someone a Berk which is rhyming slang for a word you probably wouldn't like to shout too loud.

Cheezy said...

Those hamsters look quite nice... I'm not sure if they're a full meal like the sheep are though! ;-)

The Fez Monkey said...

Constance: Gobsmack. That just sounds good.

UV: If the filigree hamsters are a bust, I'll be blaming you.

Lucy: I thought for sure knackered meant tired, wiped out, just exhausted. It sure seems like it in the context I have ever heard it - mainly from Steve Jones.

Cheezy: You're right, the hamsters wouldn't make much of a meal. Unless you get like 30 or them. Otherwise, shove a stick up their bums and serve them as apperitifs!

Ook ook

O' Tim said...

"Gopher, Everett?"

The Fez Monkey said...

No thanks, Delmar. One third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite without beddin' it down.

Ook ook